This is NOT any old toastie – it’s all the best bits of Christmas, including a home made bubble and squeak!
Thick white bread
Good quality mayonnaise
A few slices of leftover cooked turkey
A few slices of leftover stuffing
8 slices of brie
3 whole, sliced pickled beetroots
4 tbsp coleslaw
For the Bubble and squeak:
6 finely chopped leftover roast potatoes
50 g finely chopped leftover roast parsnips
50g finely chopped leftover roast carrots
2 left over pigs in blankets, finely chopped
2 tbsp Branson Original Pickle
- Start by making the bubble and squeak. Put the roast potatoes, sprouts, parsnips, carrots and pigs in blankets into a large bowl with the pickle and lots of seasoning.
- Mash with a potato masher until it starts to combine and hold together.
- Form the mixture into two patties big enough to cover a slice of the bread.
- Heat a tbsp of vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 2 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Put the slices of bread onto a large chopping board and spread the outsides with mayonnaise. Spread a teaspoon of cranberry sauce on the inside of each slice and divide the turkey and stuffing between 2 of the slices.
- Spoon the remaining cranberry sauce over the top of the bubble and squeak patties, followed by the brie slices. Put onto the sandwiches, followed by the beetroot and coleslaw, and top with the remaining 2 bloomer slices.
- Wipe the frying pan clean with kitchen paper and heat the remaining tsp of oil, then wipe with kitchen paper. Fry the sandwiches, weighing them down with a clean pan, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until really golden and crisp. Cut in half and serve.
(image credit, Olive magazine)